Sunday, March 30, 2008
What I don't like are low-carb recipes that taste yucky! Having traveled a lot in my life (not as much as some, but more than most), I have a low tolerance for some of the substitutes we make in the low-carb dieting area. For instance, I have a lot of difficulty with the chocolate recipes in the Atkins book.
I was browsing some of the blogs that Cleo (see sidebar) has listed on her blog and came across this one on recipes. Not a blog, but a website with a bunch of recipes, sorted and with pictures, that have that yum-yum appeal to good eating! Atkins should be good eating. We just need to remember that as we come off of weight loss and go into maintenance that we need to also move farther toward healthy choices and reducing some of our easier choices which might be higher in cholesterol and fat.
Wherever you are - induction, weight loss, on-going weight loss (OWL), or maintenance, you are sure to find something here to keep you going, happy, smiling, and losing!!
For myself, I see that I can learn something about almond flour use for baking!
What's been going on with you today? Here's the list of 3 things we should all be doing daily:
- Drinking water: 1/2 our body weight in ounces of water (up to 100 oz daily).
- Staying "OP" or "On" program - within our carb level, our calories, sodium, whatever each of us tracks to see how we are doing daily with our energy/food intake.
- Exercising - 20-30 min a day usually. I like to do about 250-300 min/week and put it into about 3 days a week rather than daily.
Been a bit lax on that myself lately. I did get all my water in yesterday.
Stress has not been my friend this week - coming at me from all directions, and I see it in the food choices I am wanting to make. Forcing the water in yesterday helped me. Taking my supplements helps me. I will get back on track; just knowing that gives me strength.
The "demons" that tempt us to eat badly, neglect our exercise and neglect our homes, family, and friends, and ourselves most of all, do come back to visit from time to time. Know that you do not need to let them stay long. Use the 3-day rule (both company and fish goes bad after three days?) and send them packing after you've had your little visit.
Going into work today this Sunday, planning to take off tomorrow to take in an opening day major league ballgame - I hear they are pretty fun.
What are you doing for yourself today?
I'm eating the elephant, one day at a time.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
The point about zumba for me is that it is something that resonates with me, speaks to my soul, and makes me want to get up and move.
I think exercise should be something that we like to do. I also think that we need to make those things we enjoy and which get our heart racing more a part of our life!
Too often we are tired and out of time and energy to devote one more second to something we don't need to do. I mean, we have to do the taxes right? And we have to do the laundry and the dishes eventually. But if we skip exercising, no one's gonna notice or mind. I mean, we might mind - a little - and then after a while, we are w-a-a-a-y too tired to mind.
So what if you chose something you would LUV 2 DO???
Here are some of the things I LUV 2 DO:
- Rollerblade (had to learn)
- Whitewater rafting - looking to do whitewater kayaking now, and take my sons along with me as they've been with me on the other two.
- Hiking in the woods - much more interesting to me than walking through my neighborhood. But don't discount what good a short 15 min walk outside can do for your mental and physical health! It will get you started on doing more. The more you do, the more you want to do because the MORE you ENJOY it, IF you pick something YOU LOVE!
I've added a
You Tube clip of Zumba
The first and the third songs are very familiar zumba songs, as is most of the choreography the instructor uses for these songs. The middle song is very representative of a lot of other salsa/merengue songs used in zumba, but is not familiar to me.
Notice how much fun those trying this "demo" class are having (one guy REALLY gets into it ~ it cracks me up!).
Sunday, March 9, 2008
I'll also add her to the sidebar for easy finding later!
The Lighter Side of Low-Carb: Better-Than-Ever-Best-Yet Revoloopsie Rolls!