Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Safe Words


“One!” --“Ow!”
“Two!” --“Owww! That hurt.”
“Three!!” --“Buttercup!”
“Wimp.” But he stopped.

Two safe words.That’s the rule.
Buttercup for the first, Strawberries for the second.
Grateful he’s in a loving mood, I rub my sore rump and
Sit back, smile up at him.

“C’mere.” And my knees cross the floor.

Yes, I’m a kept woman.
My dependence on his love, His dependence on my love
All contrived like words in a poem
We flit like butterflies thru well-defined roles
I wear my punishment like a well-rumpled suit
It comforts. It defines
The lines between Safety
And the Outside World.

Today's three words (dependence, kept, rumple) from 3WW tie to the new hype generated by Fifty shades of Gray. Having just read a post that discussed how this fan-fiction has created its own fans and then considered how lines from Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew and Jane Austen's own books might have used such scenes to good effect, I had to go ahead and use them in this context.  Yet I wonder if the editors who chose today's three words had the same in mind as well. I didn't make them up - they did! I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse into the relationship between a master and a sub.

9 comments:

Jae Rose said...

I've not heard any reviews but have seen the book in bookshop windows - you have certainly made me interested..there is tiredness..resignation in your piece..oxymoronic safe words..Jae

Sheilagh Lee said...

well written story in such few words bravo Di

Angel said...

Nicely done. Good use of the words.

Angel said...

Sorry, put the link to a poem I liked from another 3WW writer for my link...lol.

Old Egg said...

The whole point of the prompt words is to be creative and if your words astound so much the better! Every word we read promotes thinking in our minds too. Safe words are good.

Kizmet said...

it comforts. it defines. Fabulous lines that draw the reader right into your world!

Daydreamertoo said...

Wow that is some story. I used to think being submissive was all about being weak but, there is so much in it that is strong. Because she is strong enough to let someone take control and, that takes a lot of inner strength.
Nicely written. :)

Alice Audrey said...

Yes, I did enjoy this glimpse, though S&M isn't generally my thing. I like the knees across the floor line.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Di, don't give too much credit to Jane and Will. You got the "kept woman" aspect completely, wearing it "like a rumpled suit," great stuff. My 3WW was "Bud is Bummin'," so you've seen that take. Peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/04/20/free-spirit-speaks-couplets-for-dverse/