Friday, March 23, 2012

Tackling Goals: Where this blog is headed

One might look at my blog and say "What the heck is she doing?" if they knew this (blog) mostly talked about weight loss and changing one's lifestyle in order to be healthier.  Even the title "Luvs2zumba" seems more designed to discuss Zumba - which is at least part of a healthier lifestyle than the poetry and commentaries I've been posting more recently. 

So what has happened?  The tag line says:  "Eating Elephants One Bite at a Time, or How I Ate One Too (812)" and that is a better clue. 

Almost everything worth undertaking is going to take time, energy, patience, and a lot of effort.  Whether we're changing our lifestyles to live healthier, or more energetic, or whether we're learning how to program our computer, build a space rocket, or teach a 2- year old how to tie his shoes, whoever is on the learning side is going to do this one step at a time.  Big projects especially.

How do you do them?  You break them down into smaller steps or tasks and focus on those.  You make sure that those lead to your larger goal, so there is always that "eye on the prize" but you try to stay "in the moment" by focusing on the one step or task in front of you.

As it is with lifestyle changes, my goal of becoming a novelist is going to be filled with lots of baby steps, small steps in the general direction of where I'm going, sometimes falling down, always brushing myself off and getting back up. 

The little ditties (poems) and other commentaries, essays, etc., which don't seem to focus on lifestyle changes or eating better, drinking water and exercising, are my sharing some of my little steps with you - putting them out there in the open.  You may not get to watch me create them, just as you can't see me drink a bottle of water, but you are sharing in the quality of them.

Maybe over time, you will be able to see some improvement.  I certainly hope I do.  Maybe you can see some of yourself in them. As the writer, that's definitely something I hope you do, and I hope you are entertained, have a moment of escaping the travails that surround us -- reminder to self:  finish taxes today -- and a little more stress is released. 

If that doesn't work, try a few hours on a step-master, or a punching bag, or a yoga class, or simply lie down on the floor and breathe deeply and slowly, focusing on your breathing only.  Nothing else. 

In this way, you too can take a small step toward reducing stress.  Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

lorent said...

Inspiring! this is my favorite, especially after an editing session: "...or simply lie down on the floor and breathe deeply and slowly, focusing on your breathing only."

lorent said...

Inspiring! My favorite is: "...or simply lie down on the floor and breathe deeply and slowly, focusing on your breathing only."